The City of Victoria will welcome the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, to City Hall tomorrow, Thursday, March 2, 2017.
The visit will provide an opportunity for Mayor Lisa Helps to meet with Mr. Trudeau and advance the City’s position on a number of key initiatives.
“We are thrilled to welcome the Prime Minister tomorrow, it’s the first time in more than 50 years that a Prime Minister has visited Victoria City Hall,” noted Mayor Lisa Helps. “I am looking forward to a positive discussion about opportunities for the City and federal government to work together collaboratively on a number of innovative initiatives.”
The last Prime Minister to visit Victoria City Hall was Lester B. Pearson, meeting with Mayor Richard B. Wilson on August 22, 1965.
Mayor Helps and the Prime Minister will meet tomorrow afternoon at City Hall.
Impacts to the public:
- Pandora Avenue from Douglas Street to Government Street will be blocked off to all traffic throughout the afternoon.
- City Hall will be closed to the public during the visit.
- The Prime Minister and National Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan will visit CFB Esquimalt at approx. 9:30 a.m. and participate take part in a 5K run and base tour.
- None of the events are open to the public, although the public may be able to see him at Victoria City Hall at approx. 1 p.m.
- There will be some street closures downtown. Pandora Avenue from Douglas Street to Government Street will be blocked off from noon for a few hours. Access to City Hall will be limited and the Centennial Square entrance will be closed to the public during the visit. The Pandora Avenue entrance will remain open.